Thursday, October 1, 2015

Meet the Owners

Hello Everyone!


Before I start sharing the progress of Climbing Vines Café & Play, I thought I would introduce myself and my family to you all. I hope to meet each of you in person soon, but for now, I'll share a bit of our story and how we came up with the idea to bring this project to Rochester.


climbingvinescafe.com
My husband Chris and I with our dogs Russell (Golden Retriever) and Lucy (Pug)

 
My husband Chris and I moved to Victor, NY from Buffalo in the winter of 2015, following my job. A few weeks after our move, I gave birth to our handsome, hilarious son Benjamin, who is now nearly seven months old.

climbingvinescafe.com
Benjamin at 5 months old, just readin' his book


While Benjamin brought more joy to my life than I could have ever imagined, being a new mom in an unfamiliar city proved to be isolating and intimidating. I wasn't sure where to go for support, or where I could meet other parents since we hadn't had the chance to make many friends in the area yet. I felt trapped inside the house during my maternity leave, because the overwhelming anxiety that surrounded any outing with a newborn was just not worth the trouble. I was constantly terrified he would fuss while we were out, and I would be scorned or ridiculed for the noise.

Benjamin at the Rochester public market- the one place where I found his noise didn't bother anyone!


Since I hadn't found a place to meet other parents in Rochester, I went online and found a group of moms who had babies the same age as Benjamin. Having a group of people going through the same challenges as I was, at the exact same time, was completely invaluable to me and saved my sanity! However, none of these incredible women lived nearby. They were scattered across North America (and beyond!). One thing I noticed in our many discussions was that many of these women had places in their community that served as a meeting ground for families with young children, in a setting that had both a fun space for kids AND a relaxing, cozy place for parents. I immediately yearned for a place like that in my new town.  While I still enjoy interacting with other parents online, there is really NO comparison to face-to-face support, comfort, and laughs (plus, my baby LOVES seeing other kids!).

My husband and Benjamin at Powers Farm Market in Pittsford


After going back to work full-time for several months after having my son, I decided that I wanted to spend more time with my baby.  After much consideration, I decided to make my dream and passion a reality and start a new project I could build with my family.  I am SO excited to bring this concept to the Rochester community and can't wait to share the journey with all of you! Parenting is something no one should EVER have to face alone. After all, it does take a village!  Let's come together, share experiences, have fun, and enjoy this crazy/beautiful journey as a community.





-Michele


No comments:

Post a Comment